Milano electricals part one...car alarm original??

Greetings to all, Newbie here again...

Did some preliminary exploration as to why the Milano ('87 2.5/5spd) won't
run.  We've got fuel but no fire.  All grounds that I can find seem to be
grounded, the ignition switch is OK, the coil appears to check out, and the
distributor looks OK.  I'm beginning to think it's a higher order
electronics problem.  I did some digging around the car and found an ECU
under the passenger side carpeting and a smaller module behind the
passenger side kick panel (ignition control unit? - kinda looks like the
one in my FI X1/9).  All of the wiring on the car appears to be largely
undisturbed - no goofball butchering that I can really see.

I did find a pretty hairy car alarm with wires that went all over.  The
thing's got a motion sensor, a pin switch for the hood, an ignition cutout,
two control switches in the interior (on/off and a pin switch nearby,
function unknown),  a line to a little box mounted on the fender with a
potentiometer knob on it  (function unknown), and a few other wires that go
other places (one to a connector in a junction box on the right side
firewall, and the other snaking down behind  the block to parts
undetermined  - ground?).

The questions:

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?

Did these alarms come as dealer installed items?

I'm tempted to pull the thing out, but I haven't yet.  I figure I'll make a
detailed drawing of what went where before I go and do that.  Has anyone
here either had a car alarm screw everything up or remove an alarm and
cause everything to get screwed up by doing so?  I've never had an alarmed
car , so I know next to nothing about them.

Also, I've got a bud who is sending me his copy of the Milano factory
manual, so I'll have something to reference.

Thanks in advance.

Christopher Judd
e-mail: juddman@domain.elided
http://www.peconic.net/members/juddman