RE: Optima Batteries

>Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 20:54:23 EST
>From: Hanknum@domain.elided
>Subject: Optima Batteries
>Has anyone out there bought one of those Optima batteries?  Anyone know
>anything about them?  Are they worth the extra $?
>Please let me know.  I'm thinking of putting one in '78 308.
>Thanks
>Henry

These batteries are great. I got to use several prototypes on when my wife
worked for Gates Rubber and they never let me down. I actually had to buy
one after they started selling them about 6-7 years ago and the battery is
still going strong today in my daily commuter. Gates decided to get out of
the battery business sometime after that and sold it to the current swedish
owner. I can't say that the quality is still the same but at the price
they're charging I'd hope so.
They're dry cell batteries which means they can be mounted in any way and
won't leak. However I've started to find white deposits around the terminals
lately. Maybe this battery won't keep on going forever.

Mitch Wolberg
69 Duetto Jr.