Re: Alfetta Exhausts

>Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 18:02:37 -0800 (PST)
>From: Michal Wawruszak <alfadigest@domain.elided>
>Subject: Exhausts
>
>Hey Alfisti!
>
>I have gotten up to the exhaust part of my Alfa restoration.. (now all
>I gotta do is the interior, wiring and glass ;)
>I have an original (Good condition) exhaust from a GTV, although I
>only have the 1st two bits (that is, up until the gearbox)
>So here's my plan: get a straight out pipe to the back of the car (to
>hear my baby purrr...) about A$85, or get a whole new system put in (2
>1/2" from the extractors) $300...

I have the standard exhaust on my car until the centre muffler, from there
it is a 2 1/4" pip all the way to the back, with no muffler. If you like
your car to have a meaty sound, and sets of the odd car alarm whilst driving
through a carpark, then go with that option. Mine is welded to the end of
the centre muffler. If you go bigger than 2 1'4" you may have trouble
clearing the rear caliper, or find it runs extremely close and tranfers a
lot of heat to it.

>Now here is my dilema, the factory pipes have a few flat bits (they
>look like factory flat bits) which I think don't help much with the
>flow.

Probably been hammered flat on speedhumps and bumps in the road. It doesn't
help the flow, but it doesn't hinder it to a noticeable extent. The only
option is a replacement set of extractors like Vin Sharp's ones. But they
are steel, so any hit on the pipes will more than likely break the studs in
the block. If you hit the iron ones, they break first, not the studs (dont
ask how I know - twice). Vin's extractors are claimed to increase horsepower
by around 6-8hp, but we couldn't notice a big difference.....
- --
Nathan Wong	       http://www.nectar.com.au/~alfacors
	           - Alfa Romeo - Club Cars - Super Touring -
AlfaCors@domain.elided	 - Formula One - V8Supercars -