Milano (?) VIN

John Hertzman wrote:
<< D'Amico Tabucchi says the numbers for 3.0 Milanos (ZAR162B60) run from
 00051011 to 00051550 for 1987....The last six digits of his seven would put
the car as a 1986 2.5, but that first "1" is a killer; according to the book
there isn't ANY Milano which
 has a "1" there.
....Brian may be a bit confused. (Sure its an Alfa? Does it look like an Alfa?
Does it
 sound like an Alfa? Honda, perhaps? Volvo?)

  FWIW, the complete VIN is ZARDA1247H1050300.  I was initially trying to
figure out where my car came off the line in relation to all the others.  My
thought was that the last 4 were the production numbers, making it the 300th
Milano that year.  (I'm curious...there was an '86?  Is that one of those
"they got it first and we got it the next year" kind of things?)
  I have an NADA appraisal guide which says, for '81-90 model years, the
digits are as follows:  1-3 identify country of origin, make and vehicle type,
4 -car line,  5 -configuration, 6-8 -equipment level, 9 is a check digit
(whatever that is), 10 (a letter) is the model year, 11 - the assembly plant,
and the last 6 are the sequential production numbers.  I figured there weren't
50,300 Milano's made in '87 so I figured it was the last 4.
  I had a guy come over to look at a car I had for sale and he commented on
what a nice quattro I had in the driveway.  Maybe I'll ask the Audi folks
about this VIN........
  Thanks for your help.  Must be one of those things I'm not meant to know.
Bryan Carter
No. Va.