Re: 75 TS Acceleration problems

Hello!

Well, as I have more or less the same set of problems
with my '88 75TS, I think that this could fall
into the same cathegory as the famous 2nd level synchro problem...
I.e. this is a common fault/feature.

I cleaned all possible connectors, checked ignition components,
cleaned idle speed stabilizer, checked VVT thingy, and
still the behaviour is the same. Sometimes when you
accelerate from a stop, there's a definite kick (presumably
when VVT is activated...) and the feeling of acceleration is "positive"...
Sometimes it "feels" lame. And yes, if you just press the pedal
to the floor while the rpms are low, it will make you no good,
but I think that it's how it should be. Torque is your friend here...

And again, the other "common" problem is the disconcern about the
"correct" cooling system temperature. It's almost always about 60 deg.
if you believe the dial, while the thermostat have 80-85 deg.cent. design.
But then, there's a temp at the thermostat and the temp in the place
where you're measuring it, they're not the same, or the sender is wrong
or the instrument dial is wrong, etc. Another thing is, that
when I'm in the traffic jam, then the fan switching on/off and the
dial indication are more in concert, in the region of 80-90 degrees.

Maybe we should start to use the accelerometers, to quantify the
percieved loss of acceleration. Because one man's acceleration
could be dead-horse-crawl for the other :) But the feeling
of change in the acceleration rates is definitely there...

As a side note, if you try to drive FIAT Panda loaded with 4 people,
then you will notice, what is the LACK of any acceleration :)))

Best regards,
               Oleg Solovianov.
'88 Alfa Romeo 75 2.0 TwinSpark (174+ KKm and rolling)