Grand Prix

The film Grand Prix was filmed during the 1966 Grand Prix season. The =
first race was the '66 Monaco Grand Prix which Jackie Stewart won in a =
either a 1.5 or 2.0 litre BRM V-8. It was completed and released in time =
for Christmas 1966. I saw it in Worcester, MA in October of '67. If you =
watch it carefully you will notice that the character portrayed by Yves =
Montand (who was an Italian Corsican, just like another great Frenchman) =
changes the style of his helmet=20
fairly early in the movie. Then Montand switches back to the Surtees =
duplicate. This occured when John Surtees (the driver Montand duplicated =
for realism) got really pissed at Enzo and left the Ferrari team in =
mid-season. He was replaced by Mike Parkes. Frankenheimer was forced to =
modify Montand's costume to a duplicate of Parkes' to maintain =
authenticity. The helmet differences come about because the order of the =
races in the movie was different than order of the real races. I still =
have the original LP which is now 32 years old. Seeing this flick in its =
original 70mm Cinerama glory is still one of the biggest thrills I have =
ever gotten in the movies.=20
Just my movie memory.
Roger