Newbie 155 owner (2.0) - Tickover noise

Hi,
I'm new to this list but can't find info on this in the archives so here
goes.

I've just bought a 1995 2.0 155 and love it! One small problem, on idle it
sounds really rough (a "tappety" sound a bit like a diesel), but once over
2,200 revs the thing smoothes out totally (and sounds really cool over
5,000). Tickover is constant at around 900 RPM, the noise is there both cold
and hot. I've not noticed any performance problem (although more is always
better), it really does drive very smoothly all the way to redline.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so do you know of a cure?,  the car
is a widebody sportpack, has full  dealer service history, 50,000miles
(80,000KM) and has just had new belts fitted.

Any suggestions would be welcomed as its a small blemish on what is
otherwise a great car!

Thanks,

Mike
Mike Freeman - Systems Administrator