Broke brakes!

Had an exciting time stopping my Verde today!  Yes, the dreaded hit the brakes
and rock-solid pedal but minimal stop.  Thank goodness for slowish speed,
minimal traffic (unusual in Houston), empty lane to dodge into & effective hand
brake.   I suspect the accumulator but would appreciate any other wisdom.  The
background;
Abs lite always comes on briefly when I start car - had the car about 6 months.
Had made a couple of heavy braking stops (to avoid running red lites) prior to
the Event.
Pump was not running when I stopped to check under the hood - no burnt wiring
smells - pump was hot but so was engine (a/c on).
I've had a few instances this summer when engine temp has gotten really hot
(heavy traffic & a/c on + upper 90's ambient temp) - this has caused ABS &
Brake lite to come on, pump running.  I installed some insulation that shields
abs pump & master cylinder - haven't seen problem since but.............
I made it home & left car parked for 30 mins; restarted to put in garage - ABS
pump came on briefly, lite went out & I had brakes again!

I've read the stuff on Shiv's page, Rich Hirsch's articles and the accumulator
is the obvious villan but............why wasn't the pump running?>

Ralph
Houston, TX

End of alfa-digest V7 #200