Re: Valve shims: groovy and unkool

JHertzman@domain.elided writes:
> Colin Verrilli writes:
> "There are two alfa service bulletins (forget the numbers, but one is from
> 1983 and one from 1988) that say that you should never use the shims without
> the groove in a V6 engine. What are peoples opinions on this? IAP only
> sells the non-grooved ones and says that they are ok for both engine types"
>
> Don't have the '88, but the '83 bulletin is certainly unambiguous that "due to
> hardness specifications the 4 cylinder shims are not suitable for use in the
> GTV-6 engine", and that one distinguished the two by the presence of a groove
> on the six cylinder shims which may be used on either engine.
> [snip]
Turns out there is a 3rd bulletin from early '94 which states that after considerable
testing, it was determined that 4-cyl style shims can be used in all 4-cyl and
6-cyl cars. The shims with the groove are discontinued. That explains why I couldn't
order them through the dealer.

- --
Colin Verrilli     Raleigh, NC     verrilli@domain.elided
'84 GTV6        '87 Milano Gold         '94 164LS Auto
Mid-Atlantic Alfa Romeo Club (MAARC) Treasurer
MAARC Home Page:  http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2380
164 Home Page:    /alfa/FAQ/164
NOS Alfa Parts for sale: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2380/cbvparts.htm

End of alfa-digest V7 #198