164 stepper motor

Hi,
I need to get my heater working for the winter and have a vague memory
of someone posting a somewhat easier method of replacing the stepper
motor than the removal of the dash, something about cutting an access
hole in the glovebox.  If anyone knows  how or even better has done it
please drop me a note.  Next week I intend to make a visit to APE to do
a post mortem examination of  couple of 164s to see if I can figure it
out but please if you have the info let me know.  Thanks.
dc