Misc. stuff , old wounds, & X1/9 for sale

  I was catching up on some old mail and a few posts struck the proverbial
nerve.......

Hanknum@domain.elided wrote:
I went to traffic court yesterday to fight a speeding ticket that I received
in my Milano Verde back in July and won.  Well sure enough the officer didn't
show up.
"CASE DISMISSED"

  On the topic of speeding tickets, I ran into a friend in court the other day
(I'm still resolving issues related to GTV-6 ownership) and we were swapping
war stories.  Seems he got nabbed via radar here in No. Va. recently.  He's
went into major 'license preservation' mode and hired a lawyer.  Apparently
there is a Supreme Court ruling here in Va that says the officer has to either
bring the radar unit into court or present a calibration receipt.  My friend
told me he laughed his ass off when the judge had everyone in court who was
there on speeding charges stand up, then told them they were all free to go.
It might pay to do a little research.......

Jess Liao wrote re: Milano snows:
Argh! you are doing it in reverse! Everyone's trying to get lsd while you are
getting rid of it? With non-lsd, if you are stuck, and one wheel is not much
loaded, it will spin and spin and the other wheel with traction won't do a
thing! Definitely keep your lsd!

  I had the pleasure of driving a Mustang GT in Mass. for a time one winter.
For winter driving I can't see the advantage of a LSD.  If the road is
anything but perfectly level, once you lose traction the rear end is going to
slide in the direction of the downward slope (generally toward a ditch).
Since both tires are spinning you lose all directional control.  If only one
tire is spinning you still got the other keeping the car from going sideways.
Snow tires and a non-LSD would be my choice.

  After 14 months of sitting in my driveway, the Milano finally runs.  I'm
going to do the T-belt, tensioner, and water pump in the next week or so and
was wondering what happened to the old "tap vs. distilled vs. deionized" water
debate for cooling systems.  Please reply direct....I don't want to be the one
responsible for opening old wounds on the digest....

  I got an '86 X1/9 for sale.  Red,  92k, 99.9% rust free (hey, it's a
fiat...there's gotta be some, I just can't find it), yokahamas, new clutch,
runs good, everything works, pics available via e'mail.  3k, and based on the
crap I've seen advertised for $18-2500, it's worth every penny.

Bryan Carter
No. Va.