Fuel Octane in Milano; New shift Problem

Fuel Octane:
Thanks to everyone who responded to my post regarding the disappearence of
valve clatter after switching to higher octane fuel.  More than one person
had a similar condition as mine, that is, with 87 octane evrything ran fine
at lower rpm/load, but really needed the higher octane otherwise.  I also
got some recommendations to use Techron.  Curious to know if Gumout or STP's
version of injector cleaner is likewise recommended.

New Problem:

On my way to work this morning I suddenlly became unable to shift into
1-3-5th gears in the Milano.  The linkage definetely feels weird.  I limped
home in 2nd and 4th gear (thank goodness for the V-6's power).  I haven't
crawleds under the car yet, but anyideas of what I should expect?  Thanks in
advance for any ideas.

Andrea Angera
87 Milano
85 Spider