Re: alfa-digest V7 #188

In a message dated 10/21/98 6:23:13 PM Central Daylight Time, owner-alfa-
digest@domain.elided writes:

<< Rear Bearings:
 They are held in by threaded retaining rings. The Milano uses a cheaper
 thinner ring than the GTV6, but thay are interchangable. Both have special
 tools to remove/install. If you can't borrow the tool, you can sometimes get
 the old ones out by carefully using a punch and/or Dremel tool. If you can
 remove them you can use the more substantial GTV6 rings and seat them using a
 punch. (I borrowed the tool to remove the rings on my Milano and installed
 GTV6 rings with a tool. On my son's GTV6 we removed and replaced them with a
 ~1/4 punch.)

Here is how I did my Alfetta (same system).  Had a friend with a cutting torch
cut out the old bearing, quick and easy.  Using the outer race of the old
bearing made a puller using threaded rod and matching nuts, and some thick
pieces of steel I found scouring around the hardware store and some heavy
washers to span the bearings.  Line em up and turn the nut and pull the
bearing in.  Worked nicely for me.

Jerry in Houston