Re: '74 GTV Tail Light Assemblies

From: warren@domain.elided (Warren Nicholson)

>Have a need (read Fix-It ticket) to replace the taillight
>assemblies in my '74 GTV.

>Anyone with passenger and driver side assemblies and lenses
>in reasonable shape?

What is the problem with them? Are they broken or are the sockets just
corroded? If it's the latter, I can help.

I got a fix-it ticket last year in my '74 GTV for no tail lights on the
left side which was due to a perpetually corroding socket (I could take
the bulb out, clean the socket and it would work fine for a week or so. I
even tried packing the socket with non-conductive grease which didn't help).

The sockets are actually replaceable if you don't mind a little delicate
work. I pulled the cluster then removed the offending socket. I went down
to the local cheapo autoparts store (Grand Auto around here) and got some
"universal replacement" sockets. I had to remove some pieces from the new
sockets like the big mounting flange, and modify the mounting hole some in
the cluster, but it's been working fine for a year now. Took me about two
hours to modify the first side and less than an hour to do the second. I used
my Dremmel tool with its tiny cut-off/grinding wheel to do the modifications.

A Dremmel is a great thing to have available for jobs like this. Even though
it's supposed to be a hobbyist's tool, I find myself using it for all sorts
of atuomotive repairs.

- - Jack

+-----------------------------+---------------------------------------------+
| Jack Hagerty                |                                             |
| jack@domain.elided   |                                             |
| Robotic Midwives, Ltd.      |  Black holes are where God divided by zero. |
| Livermore, CA		      |             - Anon.                         |
| (925) 455-1143 (voice/fax)  |                                             |
|        ARA #97, NAR #55105, LUNAR #002 / TRA #3943, Aero-PAC #168         |

End of alfa-digest V7 #187