question

I am currently saving my pennies (dollars too) in order to purcase my
first Alfa.  I never thought much of the cars until about a year ago
my father purchased an '81 spider.  I immediately fell in love.  I
picked up a catalog from International Auto Parts (three actually-I
ordered John Tipler's book on Giulias and I received 3 identical
catalogs within a week) and I noticed that a lot of parts are listed a
"only legal in California for race vehicles".  What is the reason for
this?  Is it a smog issue?  If so would it be feasible to put these
parts on a vehicle which is before the smog cutoff?

Here's the offer part.  I currently live in the San Francisco bay
area, and would like to learn more about the mechanicals of these
wonderful machines.  If anyone needs help working on their car please
let me know.  I am more than willing to help in anyway I can.  My
phone number is (510)923-1259.

Greg Morgan

p.s. Richard Thompson wrote an amazing song about the MGB GT.  Alfas
are much more fun to drive.  Has anyone written a song about Aflas?