Trivia: Heavy 164 clutch

Thanks to all of those who gave advice last week when I was helping a
workmate look at a 164: he now owns it and it is beautiful.... and
lovely to drive! He is now lurking here somewhere.

One of the jobs that he had the seller (a dealer) do prior to
purchase was fit a new clutch. The old one was clearly past its best:
took up high, slipped, smelt, and was very heavy. The new one is
much lighter. I'd heard that these clutches got heavy when worn, but
why??

I find it hard to believe that the geometry of the pressure plate
springs and release arm would change enough to make that sort of
difference, but I can't come up with any other hypothesis... anybody
got a good explanation?

Mark Battley
Auckland, New Zealand.

1974 Alfa Romeo 2000 GTV

Alfa Romeo 105 series Bertone Coupe home page and register at:
      http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/1806/105GTV.HTML