GTV windshield sealer

I have a couple of questions for those who have replaced the rear windows or
front windshield on gasketed 105/115 GTV's.

The service manual says to seal around the gasket and the car on the outside.
What have do you use?  On the rear window I took out which had been in the car
for 27 years, it was certainly not a silicone based product, more like roofing
tar.

The second question is, how far do you seal?  The reason for this question, is
again, the rear window was sealed around the top and sides  but not the
bottom.

Any help would be appreciated.

John Justus
1971 1750 GTV nearing road worthiness again
1995 164Q

End of alfa-digest V7 #180