Alfa One Lap goes international!! longish...

Hi Digesters and all,
This is a second attempt to update as my last submission was lost in
Hotmail heaven...

Due to lack of net access, I have been offline for about 6 days. I'm
sitting in a coffee shop in Minneapolis, "Cafe Prague", near the U of M
campus... very groovy, man! Clove cigarettes burning, very...
interesting music playing... I am not blending well :o)(wearing my New
Mexico Alfa club cap though...(it's warm).Rain and cold here. Nice all
day otherwise.

So anyway, I left New Jersey on Friday and headed to upstate NY through
rain and fog... grey gritty places... made horrible time and finally got
to Syracuse around 7 pm. I checked out the site of my old restaurant in
Armory Square, Ha! I had to pay to park! The place was packed. Good for
them... The trip then went east to Clinton and a visit to my sisters and
their kids. We all had a good time including a nearly complete family
reunion...(for digesters):I saw an Alfa Spider in Clinton, yellow 70's.

Monday was time to "head west, boy", so I did. Sofia and the family cars
got a bath, Sofia was filthy after the typical weather. As it always was
in central New York, Mondays are always sunny. I headed out and stopped
in Syracuse to say "hi" to an old friend, and then headed on I-90
towards Buffalo.

Monday night found me in Niagara Falls, Ontario, so Sofia is an int'l
traveler! I checked out the falls, always impressive, and then plugged
on til London, Ontario, where I stayed for the night. The exchange was
45%! What is going on, huh?

Tues was a road day, London, west through to Detroit. Ontario was really
nice. Perfect weather and cool temps. Roads were open to easy traffic
and quick paces. Detroit was a pit. What a poor example to have on the
border! Dirty, trash all over the place... Yuck.
I pushed on to Chicago, which was really nicer than I expected. I tried
to send an inner fender  to a friend who is expecting it a week ago, and
found the address was a post box, so I left UPS and headed to the Post
Office in downtown Chicago...24 hours!! but a electrical fire closed
them down. It isn't meant to be... I still have it in the car, now in a
big box! I stayed in Milwaukee last night and headed out to see how much
turf I could cover today. Wisconsin is a really pretty state. Huge
highway patrol presence...  So here I sit in Minneapolis...6:30 pm and I
guess I'll hit the road and try to get another 100 or so up the road.

The Alfa is running great. lowest tank has produced 25 mpg. All others
are a clockwork 26 mpg.at shall we say, spirited paces. Great on the
road, no problems at all so far, knock on wood... (rapping head). Tires
are visibly wearing!! Ha! but perfect wear, 3100 miles so far. To you
oil burners, you know who you are...1/2 quart down from full since
leaving Florida, at last check. How's that for tight? Not bad for the
dark side of 80,000 miles.

Anyway, I am headed for Fargo, ND and the to Montana. Of course, I'll
only go 55... yuh. Ah hah. Final target is Seattle, to see what the heck
goes on there with that club!

Home via Oregon and Cal. coast.!! then Beans and weenies in Texas.
My butt is printed into the seat cushion folks!

Bye for now!

Bill Harkell
Alfa Romeo Search and Rescue Society
Tampa, Florida