another possible guess at F14 - F15 front gear -- no Alfa content

Regan Copple said:

>All F-15's nose-landing gear assemblies collapse forward, and all F-14's
>nose-landing gear assemblies collapse backward.  Can anyone tell me why?
>First one to answer correctly gets a ride in my next newest Alfa once I
>purchase it, a silver 72 Montreal.

While the "in case it catches on a tow rope" explanation is good, I'll bet
the
approach doesn't make this feasible anyway.  I'd guess that the max
stress on the F15's front gear is aft (at touchdown), but the max stress on
the F14's gear is forward, during catapult launches.  So, build the F15's
gear to fold forward and the F14's gear to fold aft.  Sorry if this was
already
suggested, or if it's "wronger" than the "tow rope" theory.

dan in KC, 89 veloce