164 Water pump removal

I am going to replace my water pump, brake rotors and pads in the next
week on my '91 164L (auto).  Can anybody supply any info (hints or
things I need to look out for) about these repairs.

Are there any special tools I need to take off the water pump.

Also, when my car is hot, and I try to restart my car, sometimes it will
not start.  I then move the gear selector down and then up again to
Park, then the car starts.  I remember reading something on the digest
about some kind of device that goes bad and causes this problem.  What
and where is it?

Chip Schug