Re:Road Rage

The last time I gave a one finger salute was about five years ago when driving
about 70 on a local freeway when some smartass dude in a small Nissan pickup
tailgated me, and I mean about a foot away from my rear end. Because of
traffic I could not pull over into the slow lane for a while and he would not
get off my back, and he kept blowing his horn which pissed me off. So as he
passed me going 90, I gave him l'oiseau, and returned to the fast lane. This
in turn made him see red so he slammed on his brakes forcing me to do likewise
and he slowed down to about 40 moving into the slow lane and back again
whenever I moved over. A couple of times he tried to force me off the road and
I could see that the guy was either mad or high on something. I then decided
to play a trick on him and spotting a couple of slow moving city trucks ahead
I sped up and moved into a position between them and stayed there. I moved
back out into the fast lane and smartass did likewise, so I then moved back
into my cover spot. I repeated this a few times and knowing that a freeway
exit was fast approaching, I did a feint to the fast lane again, and as soon
as I did that, he did likewise. I shot back across the slow lane between the
two trucks, crossed the white V marking the exit which I had timed perfectly,
and as I took the exit I saw him rapidly pulling over onto the grass, almost
causing the trucks to crash. I waved farewell as I saw him looking back at me
as mad as hell. That taught me a lesson in civic manners and now I just smile
and say "Up yours too, Jack!" (or, "Jill", as I am pained to see that this
signal is now being given by as many females as by men).
Graham Arlen