GTV-6 air conditioning (See Notice Below)

Yes, I know it's out of season, but it's a good time to fix air
conditioning problems.  My '86 GTV-6 with TropAire was retrofitted by the
EPO with an alternative to freon.  It takes it a while to get to its
coolest, but when it does it works fairly well.  The problem is something
else, unrelated I hope.  The upper slider switch of the heater/air
conditioner is marked blue to red to adjust the heat level, but (at least
as I understand how it's supposed to work, and how it did work on my late,
lamented, crunched '85), in addition, when the slider was moved to the far
left end of its travel (the blue or cold end), the second condenser would
kick in and cool air would start to flow from the traditional parts bin
round vents at either end of the dash.  That's how it worked on the '85,
but on the '86 there is no response when the switch is shoved to the far
left, no air from the round vents (nothing ever comes out of them, as near
as I can tell), and no change in feel of the switch when it reaches the far
left (on the '85 there was increased resistance with the slider at the
point where the second condenser started to kick in).

There are good air conditioning shops in LA, but I thought first I'd query
the Digest as to any hints about what might be wrong.  My '85 is now my
parts car, and I wonder whether there's a part or parts from its TropAire
that I could salvage.

I'm sending this from work (please excuse the legal disclaimer, which is
generated automatically), and replies off-digest should go to
krash@domain.elided.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Charlie Koster
1986 GTV-6
1985 GTV-6 (Venus de Milo Edition)

       This e-mail message is confidential, intended only for the named
recipient(s) above and may contain information that is privileged, attorney
work product or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you have
received this message in error, or are not the named recipient(s), please
immediately notify the sender at (213) 626-3399 and delete this e-mail
message from your computer. Thank you.