RE: misfire (??)

Jez -

What you say about misfiring above a certain rpm has a familiar ring to it.  I
am thinking back to a problem I had with a Yamaha SR500. (A single cyclinder
is so much easier to diagnose!)  In my case I the main jet was WAY too rich.
This after much other motor fiddling, so that  carburettion was close enough
to even run was a good thing.  The low speed circuit was good enought in most
circumstances, but once on the gas in the upper rev ranges it really crapped
out, ran very flat.  It sounded like a misfire.

First, do you have carbs or is it fuel injected?  If carburetted, and the
spark plugs are more than a light tan, this MAY be a problem in your
situaiton, also.

 I missed your   first posting, but this one really caught my eye.  Have you
done any other motor mods?  Which distributor are you using?  The one from the
1600 or from the 2 litre?  There are a lot of questions I haven't asked, so go
through the ignition and fuel systems one item at a time.  Others on the
Digest, much more expert than I, may be able to lead you to the cure.

Trouble shoot ONE THING AT A TIME.  Two or more changes at once, and you will
never know what change had which effect.

Best o' luck

Jay Negrin
ARO Southern California