Help - 164 HVAC compter costs $2500.00

The HVAC computer/console on my 1991 164S has stopped working completely.
I have tried following the debugging algorithm on the CarDisk manual and
have concluded that I need a new computer.  The local Alfa dealer wants
$2500.00 for a new one.  That sounds insane to me.  I'm loosing my faith in
Alfa.  That is about 1/4 the value of the car.  I think I could rebuild the
engine for that amount of money.  I find it hard to believe that this cost
is in line with other comparable Marquees.

Can anyone suggest a less expensive alternative?
Anyone have a parts car?
Could a Bosch dealer get it?
Anyone repair them?

Help restore my faith in Alfa.