'69 GTV sheet metal

John wrote: "This weekend, a friend is patching up the hole in the passenger
side footwell of my '69 GTV.  I need to supply the patch piece, but am not
certain what gauge sheet metal to purchase.  Any recommendations?"

I've done a fair bit of sheet metal work on both '73 and '74 gtvs.... more
than I'd like to admit.  As far as I could tell, the original steel used on
the body panels of these cars is ~21 gage steel.  That is, it's thinner than
20 gage, and thicker than 22 gage.  Most of the aftermarket repair panels
come in 22 gage metal, which is a bit thin, IMO.  I've typically used 20 gage
metal for pieces I've made myself.  My favorite choice is to use 20 gage, hot
galvanized (both sides).  If you use galvanized metal, make sure you properly
prepare the surface before topcoating.

Bob Brady, DVAROC
Yardley PA
(Hoping the weather holds out tomorrow so I can top coat my GTV!!!!)