tire size info

interesting tire size info from the pantera digest...

Doug wrote:

>while my 8" wide rim is wider than 8" from lip-to-lip, i believe the
"225" tire
width is taken at the tread, and the width of the tire at the sidewall
is
probably a bit wider still.

>>>Nope.  "225" is the section width in mm, measured at the widest point
on the sidewall.  Tread is by definition narrower than section width.

However, not all tires are created equal.  For whatever reason, there
appears to be ZERO standardization between tire makers regarding the way
they choose to mark their tires.  I wrote an extensive article on
Pantera tires back in, oh, about 1992 or so, where I took real-world
measurements of the tires then currently available (285/50 P-7, 265/50
Goodyear, 295/50 BFG) and was surprised to discover that the 265 was
actually the widest of the three!