re: Bilstein mystery

>First side was the driver's side,
>passenger side's install was going well... until I attempted to tighten
>the lower bolt on the shock (to the trailing arm).  It snapped off!!

>I have never experienced this.  The large flat washer had not yet
>completely contacted the rubber bushing.  The bolt is a nylock and
>required quite a bit of torque to turn.  Bought shocks through IAP.
>Called them this AM, they are sending out a replacement today.

I had the EXACT same problem installing Bilsteins in a friends 69 Spider
(is yours white...maybe there's some Shock absorber allergic reaction...).
SNAP!

We didn't have to drop the trailing arm. just dropped the staprsa and
slowly lowered the axle down and out came the springs (with a small
tug...they had almost no tension). Shorter springs go back in easier.

Michael Williams
Sacramento, California US of A
69 Duetto
72 GTV (for sale)