Trim plates on 71 spider

I, too, have a 71 spider with no trim plates, and I, too, have cracks in
the bodywork. Mine is a very well-preserved example, probably the oldest
kamm-tail alive today (#12 off the line according to Don Black). If your
serial # is anywhere near 1485022 then that would explain a lot. I do
believe there are other 71 owners who *have* the trim, so this may be one
of those transition things. If Mr. Hertzman's (or anyone else's) part books
cover this area of spiders, he may have a more definitive answer.

As a side note, it would also appear that the center console and nosepiece
(at least) of the 71's were "transitioned" during the model run. My center
console has three big switches and only two round red lights, while later
model 71's (at least some of them) have the better-known two switches and a
rehostat, with four square red lights. The nosepiece on my car has the
duetto "pinch" or "crease" on the front, something I've only seen one other
time, in a picture, on a kamm tail. Later on in the run they seemed to have
switched to the much better known smooth nose.

For the longest time (when I had my 74 with the plates) I and everyone I
talked to though the plates were there to help mount a hard top. It would
appear that they performed the additional function of either strengthening
or covering up a weak part in the structure.

Adding them would at least seem to be pretty darned straightforward. A
drill, some sheetmetal screws, the plates, and the correct rear trim would
be all that was required. I'm leaving them off out of sheer
bloody-mindedness, but YMMV.

Scott Johnson
Alfa Spider FAQ Author