Dust!

Just returned with the Alfetta sedan (and tolerant partner) from a long
drive in the bush. Trip to Coral Bay in W.Australias NW was a great delight
followed by a slightly more punishing drive home through the now dry and
stoney interior of the Murchison region. The aging Alfetta performed
flawlessly on the quite rough and washed out roads but for the dust!! It's
unbelievable the amount that found its way inside this car.

There were parts of the journey where the graded red road was so smooth that
you could hiss over it at any speed, so clouds were generated, why so much
of it came aboard is as yet a mystery. Sure, there are a few small rust
holes but they are generally covered by something. My suspicion lies with
the "C" pillar extraction vent. Extraction my foot! Fine dust is filtering
down from the hood lining snake bite holes even now a week later, just like
sifted flour. I can only assume it entered via the pillar vent as the lining
holes in this area inside are heavily dusted.

I will investigate this weekend but can anyone pre-advise me of the
mechanism I may (or should) encounter if I remove the external pillar
grilles via its pop rivets and peer in. Should there be some sort of one way
air valve, a crude reed, anything?

Apart from the above, Alfettas are in my opinion pretty good off roaders,
soft springs good traction, reliable, economical. Needless to say, didn't
see any others, lots of 4WD Toyotas though.

Thanks, Lee. Perth W.Australia.

End of alfa-digest V7 #154