Georges, and earthquakes

     Jack asked:
     ...People refer to hurricanes "coming ashore" with incredibly tight
     tolerances as in the quotes above. Isn't your typical large hurricane
     (like Georges) a couple hundred miles across? How can you say it came
     ashore at any one place? Doesn't it pretty much hit land everywhere
     along a hundred miles of coastline?
     and my answer is:
     YES, it hits the coast across a broad front, but the "eye" or center
     of the hurricane is relatively narrow, only about a mile or two. Just
     like the epicenter of an earthquake can be pinpointed, even tho it is
     felt across hundreds of miles.

     Alfa content:
     It was a beautiful day yesterday in the Sonoma county wine country,
     and my wife and I took a great ride over some back roads to enjoy the
     sun, the scenery, the Alfa, and each other's company. This is what our
     cars were made for!
     Len