Spider value

> Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 13:16:57 -0500
> From: "Miller, Michael C"
> Subject: Alfa Spider $value?
>
> Since there are not any Alfas showing up in the local classifieds (Fort
> Worth, TX), I was wondering what my '79 Spider would be worth.
>
> Chocolate Brown, needs paint
> No real rust, only some surface rust
> ~75,000 miles
> AC, but not connected
> New shocks (KYB gas)
> Stock engine with SPICA injection
> Injection pump replaced ~5 years ago
> Top in decent shape, no leaks, window is clear
>
> I don't know whether to sell it or paint it.
>
> Mike

 Mike,

Obviously I don't know your car, and I'm not really up on the Texas
market.  However, my guess would be that your car is worth about $2500
+/- a little (maybe a little less if really needs paint - $2000?).
Don't know your exact climate, but here in So Cal, it's not too hard to
find cars with NO rust, so some surface rust is a minus.  However, when
I lived on the east coast, some surface rust would probably have been
acceptable;  a buyer would have been relieved that there was ONLY
surface rust...   I guess either way, if it definately needs to be
painted anyway, a little surface rust (assuming it's really JUST
surface) isn't such a big deal.  How long has the a/c been
disconnected?  If it goes too long, the seals may rot, trashing the
compressor (at least).

'79, if I'm not mistaken, is not an especially desirable year;  heavy,
akward bumpers, and clumsy emissions controls.  But it's still a cute
little car, and I'd still rather own a '79 than most non-Alfas in that
price range.

However, the actual value of your car is, of courese, whatever you can
get for it.  You might post it a little high (if indeed you decide you
wish to sell it) and see what happens, especially if you're not in any
particular hurry.  True Alfa enthusiasts will have an idea what the car
is worth, but you might find somebody who is impressed with it's
semi-exotic nature and be willing to pay a bit more, especially if there
aren't many spiders for sale to establish a market price.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Hal Taylor
'86 spider veloce "Strega"
Venice CA