RE: m/b's crashing into walls in reverse.

gary,

certainly this will be interesting to follow.  i know that there were a lot of
'unintended acceleration' incidents w/the audi, too - perhaps, misplaced pedals
in and of itself, is a culpable fault, i dunno.  it sure makes the answer to
your query about whether m/b can detect brake usage or not, a little more
exciting!

doug s.