Re: Head Removal

Bill, for head removal you can make yourself a tool.  Break the porcelain out of
a spark plug and weld on a 6" or 7" long 1/2" threaded rod.  Make a 1/4" thick
steel plate that will fit over 4 head studs and put a 9/16" diameter hole in the
center.  Remove the head nuts, place the spark plug/threaded rod tool into the
spark plug hole for cylinder #2.  Position the steel plate with the threaded rod
passing through the hole and resting on 4 studs.  Put a 1/2" nut on the threaded
rod and turn with your favorite wrench.  The head will come free quite easily.
My neighbor made the spark plug/threaded rod and steel plate for me, it took him
a couple of days to get around to it and cost me $8.00.

Don't forget to use some type of hold down on the cylinder liners after the head
is removed or if the engine is turned while the head is off they may become
unseated.  You can use washers and conduit or pipe cut to the necessary length
placed over the studs and held down with the head nuts.

Enjoy.

Loyd Heimbruch
Stella del Nord Chapter (Minnesota), AROC
78 Niki Spider