Installing new top on Spider

I just got through with installing a new cloth top from Caribou. Their price
is right on. The cloth is not the most expensive but I.m satisfied with the
quality and workmanship of the top.

It was a lot easier than I thought with no great troubles, I followed the
supplied one sheet of instructions. Here are some pointers:

1. Look around the top for "key" hole markings- once these were attached
things went easier. These are the holes at the front bow, just behind the
side windows (where small chrome pieces and screws go).

2, Purchase a leather punch tool (about $10.00) to punch the holes through
the tough top at the back and sides of the top and punch away. Start in the
middle below the plastic window.

3. Use a sharp probe set to locate rivet & screw holes on the bow and at the
front end of the retaining bars at the sides.

4. Recover the front bow section with naugahyde before slipping the front
section on.

5. Once the back is attached, fold the top frame down partially and slip the
front section on and attach with contact cement. don't worry, the top peels
off easily to reposition the material. Make sure the front edge extends at a
downward angle to contact the top of the windshield frame. You can't really
judge until you reinstall the front bow gasket, just take my word and have
it project about 1/2 inch angling down!

6. You will have wrinkles along the sides until the sides are attached to
the frame behind the side windows and the screw on the inside side retaining
bars are adjusted.

7. I had trouble the tab at top/front at bow as the Caribou top is
constructed differently from the original. I punched a hole and used the
bolt from the old top with the nut on the inside. The trimmed ends of the
front gasket attaches here too.

8. Use liquid detergent to lube the front bow gasket.

9. In retrospect it would have been much easier if I had removed the seats -
only four screws each.

Eduardo Aenlle

aenlle@domain.elided