Head Removal

Been there, done that.  I would not use the starter to "bump" the head
loose.  Initially, make sure that all the exhaust nuts are off, and any
brackets, etc. are off as well.  You shouldn't need to bump the head off
and remember that the weight of the head also helps keep the cylinder
liners in. If you really can't loosen the head and you're feeling
sporting,  you can either simply loosen the cylinder head nuts (with the
timing chain still in place so that you don't bend a valve) OR undo the
chain, and take the cams off so all the valves will be closed when you
do it.  A couple of turns is supposed to be more than enough.  Another
approach which i've heard about but not had to use is to feed some rope
into the cylinder through the sparkplug hole and then use the piston to
put force on the head by compressing the rope.  I'm sure that others can
fill in the details on this technique, but it strikes me that the valves
had better be closed when you do that.  It would be better to beg,
borrow, steal or otherwise acquire the Alfa tool if it's really stuck.

My $0.02  YMMV

Bill Bain
'83 Spider