Engine conversion/fooling state inspectors

I am trying to gather ideas for my car. It needs a massive rebuild in
the engine/transmission area (not to mention other areas) and I am just
scouting up ideas for ways to go about it. One way, I thought, would be
to just get a rebuilt V6 and squash it in there, but it doesn't sound so
simple. I had previously thought that modifying the 2.0 L to go faster
would take bundles of cash, tons of work, and make it a track-only car
(and this is a problem since we don't have any race tracks around here),
but it sounds like it would be less trouble than fooling with an engine
swap. It seems that getting it to pass emissions would be hard either
way, and in addition, I am not willing to sacrifice handling for
straight line speed. Now I intend to do a performance rebuild, add a
TurboPac 1500 supercharger someday, and just try and find a good way to
fool the emissions inspectors. Does any one know how to do this? What if
I took a VIN number from a 25 year old Spider and put it on mine? Has
anyone done this before? Is there another way besides bribing the
inspectors or stealing inspection stickers late at night? Maybe I could
get a job as an inspector... that would be pretty neat...

Thanks to all who wrote me,

Gregory Scott