86 spider rough idle and mr2

My 86 spider grad has developed a strange problem.  After running the car for
a length of time (short trip in town or highway) the idle becomes rough and
sounds like it is running on two cylinders- after restarting.  The idle
smoothes out after driving a bit or giving it more gas.  I have also noticed
at idle the shifter has a developed a definite shake to it.  The car still has
decent power and seems ok other than that- although probably could use a head
gasket change.
Ironically, I own a 93 mr2 turbo as well.  It is a completely different animal
than the spider.  It has much more of everything (power, grip, ergonomics, and
comfort) compared with the spider except character, the engine noise
associated with alfas, and the driving experience.  I can only take the alfa
in small doses and use it on when the weather cooperates.  Both are great cars
in my humble opinion , but the decision has to be based on how much you drive
and what kind of transportation you really need.  Best of luck and thanks in
advance for any suggestions with the spider.
Cory 86 grad
93 MR2 Turbo