electrical detail info needed/was 8U failure.

My 164 has a failure in the a/c circuit, pointing to the compressor
clutch magnetic coil. It seems to be drawing too much current.

Friend, (electrical type) tested the coil for resistance and by putting
the DVM on 200 ohms setting, and putting black to ground and red to the
red wire going to the compressor clutch, reading is 1.2 ohms. He said
this resistance is causing the coil to require more amps to get the
clutch to work, therefore exceeding the limit of the correct 10 amp
fuse. With clutch wire disconnected, System functions normally control
unit ok, blower fan happy and goes through speeds fine. Connect
compressor and 10 amp fuse blows upon clutch engaging.

Does this sound correct? I am somewhat ignorant on electrical issues.

Options, assuming this makes sense, are to replace clutch coil, (ugly
job) and 2) inserting a resistor in the circuit to reduce the amp draw
to acceptable levels. (experimental)

Opinions, options, theories??

Thanks in advance.
- --

Bill Harkell
Tampa Florida
http://pw2.netcom.com/~alfabill/enter.htm
'91 Alfa 168 B, currently cooled with humid air. :o)