Re: V6 Liner O-ring

> While cleaning the piston tops of my 2.5L V6 I found that one of the liners
> had worked, jumped, up a 1/8" to 1/4" and was rotating pretty easily. Am I
> correct that I should replace the lower liner to block o-ring ? If so can I
> replace it from the top, that is, NOT pulling the oil pans and rod stuff?

Here's what I know (since I have my 2.5 apart now)...
1. The o-rings get brittle. It's possible that if you lifted and rotated
   the liners, you could have split it. In my case, all the rings stuck to
   the liners and stayed in one piece until I tried to pull them off the liners.
2. You have to remove the liner to replace the o-ring.
3. You could pull the liner out without removing the pan and piston, but I would
   think that getting it back in over the rings would be almost impossible.
4. I don't think that you can unbolt all the con rods without removing the
   upper oil pan (could be wrong, but I didn't see a way to do it). Some of
   the con rods can be unbolted by just removing the lower pan (1,2,4,5 ?)
5. I also didn't see a way to remove the upper oil pan without pulling the
   engine. Possibly, you could do some major engine jacking...???
6. Alfa makes liner hold-down tool. (a lot of good this does you now, right?)

That's what I (think I) know.  There may be tricks that I don't know about.
This is only my second 2.5 rebuild, so I'm not going to give you advise.
I can try to answer further questions however.
- --
Colin Verrilli     Raleigh, NC     verrilli@domain.elided
'84 GTV6        '87 Milano Gold         '94 164LS Auto
Mid-Atlantic Alfa Romeo Club (MAARC) Treasurer
MAARC Home Page:  http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2380
164 Home Page:    /alfa/FAQ/164
NOS Alfa Parts for sale: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2380/cbvparts.htm