Ground Check

     lawrence Hegarty wrote:
      ..."Ground check" that requires that I test for zero volts
     at different points.  I'm not sure I know what that means.  Does it
     mean I should:
     1. check for a good ground with my continuity tester.
     2. check that when I put the black probe of my volt meter to ground
     and the red one a the point to be tested that I do not have any
     voltage (ie. it reads about 0).

     If it were my meter, I would check for voltage first (ie step #2). The
     meter should NEVER be used for continuity check on a live circuit, as
     you could fry the meter. Only do a continuity check if the circuit has
     no power to it. The meter won't be damaged by reading voltage, but
     could be damaged in the continuity mode (step #1) as it is actually
     reading current.

     A very simple automotive tester is a 12 volt lamp and a pair of clip
     leads. To check for ground, put one side of the lamp at a known 12V
     source, and the other on the suspected "ground." The lamp will light
     brightly if the ground is good, dimly or not at all if the ground is
     poor, ie, needs cleaning. Any 12 V lamp will work; I use an old
     license plate light and wiring harness, with a pair of alligator clips
     on the leads. Cheap and effective!
     Len