Do K&N Filters Make More Power?

Okay, I keep reading various people's speculation on the topic of less
restrictive exhaust and air intake.  While I can't answer the question
concerning muffler removal, I can address potential improvements via less air
intake restiction.  This past spring I conducted a series of timed tests using
my GTV/6 and different intake filters.  I wrote a rather lengthy article on
this for the Spring issue of Veloce Espresso, the occasionally published
newsletter of the Connecticut AROC chapter.  If people are interested, I will
post the actual results in a future Digest.  Basically, a K&N cone type filter
produced slightly better times across a pretty wide rpm range than the stock
filter/airbox.  Leaving the lower half of the airbox in place further assisted
the cone filter, as it provides cold air through the stock intake tube, and
helps keep engine heat out of the incoming air (slightly).

The article provided details of each configuration, and measured times across
three different rpm ranges.

If anyone wants to supply me with a straight pipe to replace either of my
mufflers I'de be happy to test this as well!

- -Tarik
'84 GTV/6 3.0 "Chistina"