Re AD V7#102 - Re Headlight Relays

Jay Mackro wrote:
> The concept
> was that your alternator puts out something like 14.6 volts, which
> gets regulated down to 12.8 (I'm making up these numbers).  So, by
> applying the higher voltage to your headlights, you make them shine
> brighter and/or compensate for corroded connectors and grounds.
>
> My question is:  Yea, but what would this do to the lifespan of
> your bulbs, especially hallogen?  And, would the alternator voltage
> vary with RPM, and as such, cause the lights to brighten and dim
> as you went through the gears (which would be sorta kool - kind
> of like those purple neon lights that we all have under our Alfas).

I don't know if this is relevant Jay but my system was wired by a
competition (race and rally) auto electrician.  He fitted relays and
circuit breakers and fed the main power supply to the lights from the
junction box on the firewall that connects to the alternator.  I have
always had (and still do) a visible reduction in the lighting when the
cooling fans switch on but apart from that notice no obvious impact.  I
haven't bothered to check what voltage is going to the lights.  There
are now 4x100w when high beam is on too.  :)

Regards,

John Heidemann
Brisbane Australia
1982 Alfetta GTV 2.0