fuel odor

Figured I'd ask the Digesti before tackling the problem.  Our '85
Graduate Spider U.S. smogged version develops a strong fuel odor in the
cockpit, but only when nearly empty.  I suspect fuel vapor pressure is
building in the tank and venting through some vapor return line or
other, but before I tear into it I figured I'd ask if anyone else had
experienced and solved the same problem.  Thanks in advance

Ian

'85 Graduate
'89 Milano
'61 Giulietta Spider