From: Scott A Hess [mailto:Scott@domain.elided]
Sent: Saturday, September 12, 1998 5:28 PM
To: johnb@domain.elided
Subject: Alfa Woes!

Hi John....I"m an alfa owner in California..have a 73 Berlina and an 86
Spider Veloce...I'm trying to find someone who can help me with a tech
problem with my 86 spider.. and thought maybe you could direct me to the
right person/source.  My 86 spider has a recurring electrical
problem..after running on a hot day of for a while..when you shut it off
and let it sit a bit...then when you turn the key the starter will not
turn over...all electrical goodies function..its just when you turn the
key you get nothing...then..after it cools for an hour or two..it will
start up...however...a couple of months ago..it finally gave up the
ghost and won't start at all..I've been told that the spiders's have a
problem with no heat shield at the starter..and that causes them over
time to go bad...have you had or heard anything like this? My local alfa
shop can't seem to remedy the problem..or maybeee I'm just getting bad
rebuilt starters...anyway...any info you have would be greatly
appreciated! I love my Spider..and miss driving it..bought a new 98
Jetta so I will only drive the Alfa's on the weekends....and not to
work..anyway..let me know! thanks...Scott from california