Re: Water / Temp gauges

At 02:58 PM 9/11/98 -0400, Andrew C wrote:
>Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 01:09:52 +0800
>From: "Stella Chia" <stelc@domain.elided>
>Subject: Oil/water temp combo
>
>Can I install a temp sender somewhere in oil of the car to read from the
>water temp guage with a selector switch?  I don't have a oil temp gauge and
>I don't know what the normal oil temp will be for a 105 Alfa.  It may be out
>of the range of the water temp guage.  Can someone share some knowhow on the
>feasibility of this?

Yea, should work.  101 Giulias have a similar setup, with a temperature
sensor screwed into the water jacket of the intake manifold, and an
identically-appearing sending unit screwed into the oil pan.  Of course,
the Giulia has two, separate gauges, but again, the guts of the gauges
appear identical.  (Anybody know if the two sending units and/or the
two gauges are indeed the same p/n?)

Clearly, the big project would be removing your oil pan, welding on a
chunk of aluminum, and drilling/tapping for the sending unit.  Don't
know where else you would want to measure oil temperature from -
if you had a remote filter, that would provide easier access the oil,
but the oil would be a lot cooler outside of the engine.  This might
be one of those projects best saved until you're doing a major overhaul,
and have the oil pan off anyways.  Or, one of those projects that's
more fun to speculate about than to actually execute.

FYI, it's interesting to watch the water and oil temperature gauges
on a Giulia.  The oil heats up a lot more gradually (no thermostat),
but at equilibrium, both run at about the same temperature, at least
under street conditions.

Jay Mackro
'64 Giulia abnormale spider
+ some other weird stuff, including a B*W