lawsuit maddness 2

In my frenzied cupholder rant I neglected to complete my thought upon being
interrupted in my "train of thought" (so-called) by someone appearing at the
door several hours late for a job of work.

I meant in a good-natured way and with reference to Alfas (and by extension,
to our beloved Digest) to lead up to the point that here in the USA ANYONE can
sue ANYONE for ANYTHING ANYTIME.  They don't have to have a good case, or any
case at all - just a chip on the shoulder accompanied by the $ for the filing
fee and perhaps the $ to send a sheriff to serve the papers.  I'm of course
not saying that many WIN a baseless or foolish or frivolous lawsuit, just that
they can BRING the suit and thereby cause expense, anguish, and a big waste of
time to the defendant.  I know because in business I have been the infrequent
victim of lawsuits.    Of course, I believed I was always without blame or
stain and apparently the courts agreed with me because these cases were
settled in my favor.  But the expense and agony of going through the lawsuit
means to me that I hardly "won" these cases - I lost a lot of time defending
them if nothing else.  Moral: even if you win, you lose.  That's why you want
to avoid lawsuits at all costs.  And also why so many people believe Americans
are lawsuit-happy.

Is it worth it to endure the slings and arrows of abusers of the process
trying to earn a dishonest buck in order to protect the innocent from the
criminally avaricious?  I think so.  But it doesn't make it any more pleasant.
Our free society comes at a remarkably high cost sometimes.

Now, back to the regularly-scheduled programming.

Charlie
LA, USA