Ignition timing on an Alfetta

Hi Dave

I have tried the Kartalamakis method.  Like you I have the Crane system too.
I tried a weaker spring (not from a Golf) and the spark will scatter so much
the car wouldn't fire up.  Then I re read the chapter and he mentioned that
for my 1300 engine, the ignition curve should be tighter at the lower end of
the curve and thus I ended up tightening the original spring.

After lots of experimenting I settled with a tighter (at 2-3 degrees
according to the book) setting for the primary spring and a weaker setting
for the secondary for the high RPMs.  By bending another tab (I can't
remember clearly enough to describe it but it pretty obvious) you can also
adjusted the max degree of advance you want by allowing the weights to swing
out more (or less).  So you can align the timing marks at idle and at 5100
or 4900 rpm.  It solved my stumbling at acceleration and I have great high
end cruising.  I believe my original spring just lost some of its tension.

Since you've guess by now I'm a trial-and-error type of mechanic and I can't
really diagnose and prescribe an exact cure for your particular problem.
However, if you look at the Bosch distributor, have opened it up and really
study the weights and design, you will notice that the weights can be
adjusted from the outside by prying out a little oval metal cap on the body
of the dist, where the weights are.  Then with a fairly broad flat blade
screwdriver you can bend the metal tabs for the spring tensions without
stripping the entire optical sensor assembly every time.  You can then
proceed with little adjustments until you find the setting that suits you
best.  I am guessing for you, a weaker primary spring tension and try it in
3 degree increments.

This method of adjustment may be all you need without venturing into spring
replacement.  I think that venturing too far from the manufacturers
components may invite more trouble than its worth.  Just as an example on
how different these ign curves can be -  I examined a distributor for a
Mercedes with thoughts of using the springs, to my surprise it used only one
big primary spring and no secondary.  That sort of told me that there was
more to the spring tension than I thought.  Kartalamakis wrote on the degree
of movement but not on the tension weights.

I did however rely on the protractor to guage how much I was bending so its
not all trial and error.

Good luck and let us know how what happens.

Andrew C
71 1300GTj