Badges and Krusty is innocent -replies

Hey I've never managed to provoke so much response before.

Obviously Alfal badge stealing is a Bristolian habit.
Perhaps I should move away but all those places you mention
Guy sound a little boring. I put it down to thieves in
Bristol having better taste in badges.

I got taken to task by David Ziglin for referring to
litigation and hot coffee.
I admit to ignorance of the details of the hot coffee
urban myth and I hate to think that I am being seen to
defend big business, especially Macdonalds, but even given
your explanation this still sounds frivolous. Everyone I
know makes coffee using boiling or nearly boiling water.
You therefore expect hot coffee to scald you. Even if
Macdonalds did heat the coffee more than usual they still
obey the same laws of Physics (now I am on home ground) as
the rest of us so they can't heat coffee past its
normal boiling point (unless they pressurise the shop).

With reference to your two examples, Yes I want to be able
to sue someone if they sell me a car which is not fit for
the purpose it was sold  but if I give my son a hot cup of
coffee to hold and he scalds himself then that is my fault
not the person who made the coffee. I am a responsible adult
(well usually).

Digressing, but since you mention sons, we were able to opt
for our son to be born at home because the medics were not
so worried then about litigation if anything went wrong.
This was a major quality of life bonus which will be lost.
The alfa digest is a much lesser quality of life thing that
apparantly could also be lost.

I maybe wrong but I think there is a precedent in English
Law about common sense, it's to do with the man on the
Clapham omnibus. Someone better versed in these things had
better explain it.

Sorry not much Alfa content here.
John
Alfa 33 sportwagon (family car)
Volvo 480ES (responsible adult car) :- for sale
(also 33 4x4 estate looking for retirement home.)
John Day
J.C.C.Day@domain.elided
Interface Analysis Centre
University of Bristol