Re: alfa-digest V7 #89

> Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 23:08:21 -0400
> From: Ryan Greenblatt <brio@domain.elided>
> Subject: Alfetta Starting Problem
>
> Does anyone have any insight into the following
> problem I'm having with my 1976 Alfetta?
>
> Over the past few days when I've gone to start the
> car, it seems as though the starter is not fully
> engaging.  Instead of the normal cranking when the
> key is turned, I'm getting a "whirring" noise from
> the starter(??)  It seems as though something is
> "spinning" but the engine is not turning.
>
> If I try it again, sometimes it will crank
> normally and start, other times it will keep doing
> the same thing.  It seems to be happening more
> frequently each day that I use the car.  Today, it
> took ten cranks of the ignition before the car
> would start.

There are a couple of things that might be happening.
Perhaps the starter is loose, or is missing the
infamous "shoulder bolt" and spacer that's required
to make sure the starter is sitting securely and
at the right distance from the ring gear?
Perhaps the bolts are just loose.

Maybe a particular spot on
your ring gear is worn and the starter can no longer
engage cleanly (easy to check, but you have
to pull the starter out and rotate the engine to
have a look at the state of all the teeth). This
is a pretty violent "whirring" noise usually,
and more common on automatic cars.  Actually,
I'd be tempted not to call it whirring, more
screeching/grinding.  This can be caused by
a loose starter, although you might notice other
symptoms

You might, while you're digging around
down there check that the earth strap from
the engine to the chassis is secure, it's a
pain when it gets loose and causes a whole
other set of starting problems.

dave.