A question on replacing valve seals

  I have a generic question.  I've got a (non - Alfa) with a V-6 that needs
valve seals.  I don't want to pull the heads, and don't want to pay someone
else to do it either.  I've been told of two ways to change the seals with the
head on the block:   1)  Using a special fitting, pipe a constant flow of
compressed air into the cylinder through the spark plug hole to keep the
valves closed while you pull the springs, or.... 2) Rotate the engine until
the piston is on the compression stroke (both valves closed), pull the plug
and stuff the cylinder with nylon rope.  Further rotate the engine until the
piston squishes the rope against the valves, which keeps them closed while the
springs are removed.
  I don't have a compressor, and stuffing nylon rope into the cylinder sounded
a little.....well, stupid.  I've done dumber things though and gotten away
with it so I guess you never know.  Anybody got any thoughts on either
method.....?
Bryan Carter